Massage therapies have been practiced since a long time across the globe. Today, these body massages aren’t only available in luxurious spas or massage parlors. Users have always reported the instant relief from pain and stress after undertaking these therapies. The popularity has made these available in business districts, hospitals and clinics, fitness centers and gymnasiums or even in the airports.
History and evaluation of massage therapy as Complimentary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
Massage and spa present ancient historical significance. In the ancient Japanese, Chinese, Thai dynasties, these alternative therapies were used as effective treatment methods for musculoskeletal problems. Historical evidences prove that the “art of rubbing” is being practiced across the globe. In 1850s, during European renaissance these techniques started adapting European styles and techniques.
Today, there are 80 different types of massage and spa therapies practiced by beauticians and massage experts. In some countries, these therapies are included in the alternative medicine curriculum as well. However, the effectiveness of these treatment methods haven’t been proved by any scientific research, patient’s reaction to the method has made the approach extremely popular.
Most popular styles of massage therapy: a study on modern and ancient massaging techniques.
Massaging refers to a method of patting, flattening and manipulating the skin, muscular tissues, ligaments, tendons and other supporting structures. The basic objective of massaging is to relax the muscles and reduce stress levels.
Therapists use their hands, fingers, elbows, forearms and feet for light stroking or deep pressure techniques. Some popular techniques are:
* Swedish Massage: it is the commonest genre; features tapping or kneading strokes. The strokes are mostly soft, long, rhythmic and light in nature.
* Sports massage: The technique focuses on specific group of muscles used in different sports. They are designed for preventing injuries and strengthening the musculoskeletal structures.
* Deep tissue massage: The technique is also termed as pain reliever massage. This method is designed for pain anywhere in the superficial skin, tissue or muscular layer.
* Thai massage: It’s certainly one of the most popular therapies today. In this technique, the therapist uses his/her body to change the posture of the recipient and mobilize the joints to better extents. The therapy is also used for compressing the muscles and applying acupressure.
* Shiatsu Massage: This Japanese massage therapy involves applying mixed, rhythmic pressure on some specific points of the body. These specific points are termed as acupressure-points.
* Others: apart from the abovementioned techniques, there are numerous other therapies. Some popular therapies are Hot Stone Massage, Reflexology, Pregnancy Massage, Chair Massage, Trigger point massage etc.
Benefits of massage therapies: how the alternative therapies help optimizing different bodily mechanisms
* Basically massage therapy focuses on relieving stress and relaxing the muscles. A relaxed bodily system makes the recipient feel better almost instantly. Anxiety, stress, headache, insomnia and other related psychophysical disorders can be resolved using these therapies.
* Different injuries of musculoskeletal system, dislocations, muscular strains, fracture, back pain and other sports wounds can be effectively managed by sports massage therapy. Certain diseases and inflammations like tendinitis and sinusitis can also be managed by these therapies.
* Certain physiological changes like pregnancy, cardiac hypertrophy, Parkinson’s disease, muscular atrophy, taunt muscles are also treated by similar alternative therapies. Massages have also showed significant improvements among the recipients.
Massage therapy refers to a popular supportive treatment approach to resolve musculoskeletal problems today. If you wish to feel better with immediate aftereffects, massaging is possibly the only method to help you with.